demo: rfid reader + arduino for point of sale solution

i’ve put together this video as a demo of “intuit checkout” – the idea that won the last intuit ideajam contest.

intuit checkout is a low-cost point of sale hardware/software solution that uses an arduino prototyping board and a parallax rfid reader.

all of the item data associated with the unique ids on the rfid’s are stored securely in a quickbase online database.

Published byJosh McGinnis

Josh is a software engineer, leader, startup advisor for the LA Chamber of Commerce and consultant residing in the Los Angeles area. Josh is passionate about helping entrepreneurs and businesses reach their maximum potential.

9 Comments

• Brian Sweat

September 17, 2008 at 7:56 pm Reply

Nice demo! It’s amazing what you can do with QuickBase + Flex 🙂

btw, I’m here via http://twitter.com/IntuitQuickBase/statuses/925145134

• […] Check out this demo of QuickBase being used to power an RFID Point-of-Sale solution:

• ril3y

February 13, 2009 at 10:33 pm Reply

Cool stuff! Do you have anything stating what you used such as type of RFID reader? and how you hooked it up to the arduino?

Thanks,

ril3y

• Joshua

February 16, 2009 at 11:26 am Reply

Hi. I used the Parallax RFID serial reader here. i’ll post the source when i get home later so you can see how to use it.

• William

March 26, 2009 at 7:08 pm Reply

Hey, I like what you did and I was just wondering if you had posted the source up for this project yet.

Thanks!

• Joshua

March 26, 2009 at 10:29 pm Reply

i’ve just updated the post to include the source.

• William

March 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm Reply

I’m a little lost, perhaps I am missing it somewhere, but I just cannot seem to find the source (or a link to it) anywhere on the page….

• Joshua

March 28, 2009 at 11:10 pm Reply

i haven’t posted the source. i should. why don’t you shoot me an e-mail at joshua_mcginnis@intuit.com and I’ll send it to you directly.

• Ricardo de Bruyn

May 17, 2009 at 10:57 pm Reply

Hi Joshua, nice demo and idea!!
    Can you send me more information/details about this project ? All about, if possible…

Thanks